The inspiration for this project came from the Fallen Flags website. I found some very helpful photos of these Canadian flat cars on this site. The Walthers car can be greatly improved by adding a few simple details such as pin lifters and air hoses. For my modeling era I needed to backdate my models by adding ACI plates and bashed long lube stencil. The highlight of this project is the wood deck. My models came with the decks painted black. The prototype shot on the Fallen Flags site revealed a true wood deck, not painted deck boards. I decided to try to simulate this individual board look by using a combination of paint and my new AIM Products weathering powders. Follow along as I describe this simple straightforward process.
BILL OF MATERIALS:
Walthers:932-40052 50-foot Bulkhead Flat
PAINT & DECALS:
270-110011 Reefer White
270-110013 Grimy Black
270-110030 Reefer Orange
3100 Weathering Kit
Photo 1 . I start by using masking tape to mask off the steel portion of my decks, leaving the wood areas exposed.
Photo 2. Next I airbrush the deck using Floquil SP Lettering Gray to serve as a base or primer coat.
Photo 3. I observed the prototype deck and decided that the wood should have an off-white look with a slight very faded orange tint. To simUlate this raw lumber color, I mix two colors of Floquil paint. I used Reefer White and add a few drops of Reefer Orange.
Photo 4. I airbrush this mix onto the wood deck. This coat serves as a base coat for my first application of the AIM weathering powders.
Photo 5. I remove any unwanted overspray using a Q tip swab and turpentine paint thinner.
Photo 6. I next install coupler pin lifters that I bend and cut from .01 5-inch brass wire. I drill a number 76 hole at the proper locations, install the brackets, and glue them i n place.
Photo 7. I install my pin lifters by using a hot soldering iron to melt one end into the bottom of the plastic coupler box. I also add a drop of AGG glue.
Photo 8. I next need to backdate my models by installing AGI plates. At this time I also use Scalecoat II Black to cover the late-eighties-era lube plate. I produced more correct looking plates from a Herald King lube plate set.
PHOTO 9 I now airbrush Floquil Grimy Black onto the couplers and trucks. I use Reefer Orange to simulate some rust accumulations in these same areas. Next I overspray the entire car using Testors DuliCote. This gives the model a nice flat finish and will provide the best surface for the AIM weathering powders.
PHOTO 10 I once again tape around the wood portion of the deck. Working over a sheet of paper, I apply the first dusting of the AIM powders. I use a medium-size brush to dust on Medium Gray.
PHOTO 11 I next dust on a layer of Dirty Yellow. The deck is starting to look like real wood boards.
PHOTOS 12 & 13 I now use a Q tip swab to rub on Grimy Black powder. This step reveals the excellent bolt and individual board detail of the deck.
PHOTO 14 The overall effect so far is fantastic! I decide to heighten the effect even further by staining a few individual boards. I use a small brush and a small amount of Floquil Grimy Black. I dip the brush in a bit of mineral spirits thinner to make a stain and streak a few of the boards.
PHOTO 15 I give the decks a final dusting of Medium Gray powder.
PHOTO 16 The last step is to highlight the air hoses with silver. This brings out the detail of the angle **** and glad hand.
RailModel Journal February 2008